Saturday, October 17, 2009

Graduate Record Exam

Have you ever had a goal that meant a lot to you? One that maybe you didn't accomplish? Well, today I took the GREs. I felt great on Thursday, on top of the world. Yesterday, I was a mess. Worried, scared, fighting anxiety. Today I felt good. I slept well, I ate well, I pampered myself some. Then I went to the testing center and started my test.

I took less time than each section needed (although math was cutting it very very close). I didn't take a break in between sections, not because I'm stupid, but because I was on a roll. I was focused and I was ready to move on. I thought I did okay. I knew I wasn't going to be brilliant based on the questions. I just didn't know some of the words. But I trucked through and got to the end. I decided to submit my scores and got to see them. They were average. I did way better on math than I had previously on practice tests, but verbal wasn't nearly as good as I hoped. My scores: 550 on verbal. 570-580 on math. (The range for math is because I can't honestly remember which one I got. I was so focused on the verbal). In the next few weeks I'll get my writing portion score (I'm not expecting anything fantastic). So, that's that.

Two months of work, thinking and wishing for 600 on each, and I didn't quite make it. Not enough to pay another $150 to retake and study and stress. So, I'm just going to accept those numbers and move on. Hopefully none of the schools will care if my tests are average (as long as my creative writing is not).

No comments:

Post a Comment