Saturday, October 10, 2009

Partners

I am about to head out, but before I go, I have a question I would like to pose to anyone willing to answer.

I've been spending the past month or two wondering about my future. Will I get into grad school? Will I end up moving out of state? Will I be alone or with a friend or boyfriend? Will I meet lots of cool new people? Etc.. But the one question that comes to mind the most is, would I want to date (assuming I'm single) another writer? What do you think? Sure, dating doesn't mean marriage. But to me, I feel like if a relationship isn't going to go far, and I know it, it isn't right to keep at it. So, my question to all you lovely people out there is this: If you are single, would you want to be married to a writer? If you are married, is your spouse a writer as well? What's it like? If you had a choice, what would you choose?

As of now, I might feel a little intimidated or jealous if my partner was a better writer than me. But who knows? Maybe he would be so supportive and teach me so much? I guess it depends on the person, but I'm still curious about everyone's opinions.

Happy Saturday, hope you have some relaxing (and writing) this weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmm . . . partner with a writer? No.

    Then again, my partner keeps talking about taking up writing . . . so my words could very well bite me in the nether region in the very near future.

    I think couples need some similar interests and some disparate interests as well. I love to read. My partner doesn't. My partner loves horror movies. I don't. We both love SciFi and Fantasy, Project Runway, HGTV, food, dance music, and so many other things that bind us together as a couple, and yet the things we both like that the other doesn't, but that we can talk about to each other, creates a necessary distance.

    My writing community, for the most part, is out here in the blogsphere . . . and that's just fine for me.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, my husband isn't a writer. I'm grateful for that. He's someone who works with his hands, and he's a thinker. I jump the gun, he thinks things through. I'm a loudmouth. He's quiet and contemplative. Opposites attract, I guess. I've heard of writer duos, but I don't think it would work for me. I don't know if it's my own insecurity or the fact that I need someone to keep my feet on the ground. Could be both. Great question!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I think I would enjoy having a husband who was interested in at least reading my work, though. But beyond that, I would just want enough in common to be happy and enough that was different so I could have some breathing room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine is a reader! Lucky for me. Writer/reader combos do great, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is not a writer. He likes to read, I like to read. He likes video games, I like some video games.

    I have no idea if I could stand it if he was a writer. I'm really thinking not. I can just imagine him having a great week writing and me not touching the keyboard. I see potential for jealously. Or get motivation.

    Either way, I'm just happy he likesrg to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife isn't a writer but she likes to read. She's not much help critiquing me because Spanish is her first language. (I correct her e-mails before she sends them)

    I'm not the competitive type so having a better writer as a partner wouldn't phase me. I'd take advantage of her skill.

    ReplyDelete