Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Back to Blogging, Back to School

Thanks, Charlie, for reminding me about my blog. I didn't realize it had been so long since I last posted.

In May I applied to graduate school for secondary education in English. I got in! It's my alma mater, so it wasn't surprising. I'm about a month and a half into the semester and while both classes (I'm only taking two) are undergraduate, they are still challenging. The English certification is comprised mostly of undergraduate survey classes. And the hard part isn't what they cover, but finding time to do classwork. Because I'm still working full-time.

Then there's my writing. What writing you say? Exactly. I haven't worked on my novel since August, but I worked darn hard to edit it then. Maybe come Nano month, I will work on it or another project. Time will tell. But the one thing I've really learned so far?

Going back to school isn't as glamorous as it seemed this summer. 

It's a lot of sacrifice. Like last weekend. I spent the majority of it working on two papers and getting all my reading for Monday and Tuesday done. But I guess I can rest easy the rest of the week, seeing as how I edited both papers and finished even Wednesday's reading. The one thing that makes me smile? The majority of students in my class, as of last night, had not even written one word of their six-page paper that is due tomorrow. And me? Seven pages and printed. That counts as writing, doesn't it?

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see you're back. We all take breaks from time to time, and your writing will flow when the muse strikes. Stephen King might disagree and say you should write every day, no matter what. Who are you going to listen to, some dude that's written 25,000 books and who knows what he's talking about, or me? :)

    There one thing I am certain about. As someone who chose to work over furthering his education, I can say going back to school is the best choice.

    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete