So I decided that I was going to set a goal for myself. It seemed to really spur me on during NaNoWriMo. I reached 50,000 words in a month, but since then have done very little with the manuscript. Until today. I decided I wanted to reach 75,000 (or the end) by the end of this month. I calculated it, and if I started tomorrow, I would have to write 1,191 words a day. Assuming I started at 50k. But I didn't start at 50, I was somewhere closer to 53, which gives me a few days leeway, just in case. Well, tonight I wrote even more and now am close to 54,500. Already ahead. Not only does that make me happy, but it makes me want to write more. I'll worry about if it's good once it's done. And since it's the sequel to the one I'm querying now, who knows if it will even see the light of day. Book one has to sell first, right?
Well, it's getting late and I'm actually feeling pretty good about myself right now, so I'm going to call it a night. Happy Writing!
Goals are awesome. When you can stick to them. I tend to overestimate how much I can really keep doing day in and day out.
ReplyDeleteHow's it going?
(I bounced over here from Charlie's blog.)
Meg
I really felt like I could stick to these goals, but I haven't in the least! I think my brain is just trying to tell me to focus on another story, and let that one sit for a little while. Or maybe my brain is a quitter (not sure yet)...
ReplyDeleteAll you can do is keep trying! It'll come.
ReplyDeleteHi! I saw you on Charlie's blog, so I decided to pop over.
ReplyDeleteI'm always jealous of people who can set goals for a certain number of words, etc...I wish I could. Okay, I'm not really jealous. I admire that quality in people. It's something I lack.
My writing is so sporadic. One day I'll write 400 words, then next 2800. I'm a slave to my moods, I'm afraid.
50,000 words in a month is amazing! It took me a year to come up with my 42,000 word first draft, which now that I'm thinking about it, was one crappy first draft. I used to worry about word count, not anymore. Just write, read and write some more - and have fun doing so.
ReplyDeleteI was wondering what all those popping and bouncing noises were...