Tuesday, May 18, 2010

BEA, Wednesday WIP, and Music

Hello again. It's been a little while since I last posted, or even logged onto blogger. I've been super busy at work preparing for BEA (BookExpo America, for those who don't know). It will be my first year attending and I am super excited. Not only will I, hopefully, see authors that I love, I may have the chance to meet agents. Anything is possible. At least, that's how I'm going to look at it for now.

I'm posting about my work in progress a little early just to be sure that I do. I finally bit the bullet last weekend and really dug into my WIP. Reading it aloud at first felt awkward. Maybe the scenes aren't right yet, but once I got the hang of it, it's really rather fun. Especially since my WIP is first person, narrated by a teenage boy. He's lots of fun, and I hope it isn't just me that thinks that. But once I'm done with this edit, I'll be sending it to friends. Please like it, friends, please.

I go through music in phases. Sometimes, I love just one band and listen to it religiously. Other times, I just can't stand to listen to music at all, especially if I think it will distract me from my writing. Right now, I'm in a completely new phase. One that is probably influenced by Maggie Stiefvater. I've started creating a playlist for my next novel. I'm collecting songs that remind me of characters, scenes, general feelings. And in doing this, I've really started to listen to my music more. I clean while blasting it, I'm even playing music now as I blog.

Let me preface the paragraph above with two bits of information: First, I usually find a song or two that reminds me of certain books or characters, but this is the first time I've found enough to make a playlist, and it's exciting to me. Second, like all people (or most people), I was having a low period in my life last week. No real reason, I just felt depressed. But this past weekend, I picked myself up, dusted off my life (metaphorically and literally), and I got through it with zest. I think the music helped. It always makes things like cleaning and chores more fun. Or work, it helps work go by faster too.

So, for the moment, life is looking good. The music is on. My spirits are up. And my novel is progressing. Cheers!

(Oh and I also bought a ton of books this weekend. Who doesn't love getting new books?)

3 comments:

  1. When I was 12 years old and laying on my bed reading The Hound of the Baskervilles, I heard Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin for the first time. That song still reminds me of Sherlock Holmes every time I hear it. Weird, isn't it >:)

    Cold As Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty cool. Sometimes, I remember where I was when I listened to a song and it always reminds me of that place. It's amazing how the mind works!

    ReplyDelete