I'm sure every writer goes through a non-writing phase. Okay, not every writer. Because I happen to know one writer in particular who writes like a maniac and makes me look bad. Not that it's hard to do when my word count totals for a month don't reach even 5,000. I wrote so much in November, winning Nanowrimo. After that, I lost interest (or needed a break or something) with writing. Sure, I liked my story, but I couldn't find the motivation to write. And still, several months later, it's like pulling teeth. Or any dentistry work, for that matter.
But a few days ago, I was sifting through notes and papers and happened to look at the novel I had been working on last summer. You know, that manuscript you push aside and forget about because you lost interest? Well, guess what...12K into it and I dropped it at a perfectly easy spot to pick it back up.
But wait! I told myself. I must finish my Nano book. I'm less than 5,000 away from the ending. I could do that in a night or two if I really set my heart on it. But my summer book calls to me. Why do I like it now? Who knows! I don't even understand why I lost interest. But what I figured out is that there are no rules for writing a novel. Sure, if you have a contract, you better finish the book. And it better not suck. But me? I'm free as a bird. And last time I truly listened to my heart and wrote what I wanted, I loved writing so much I couldn't be stopped from working on that novel. So what is a girl to do? Trudge through the last 5k so I can get to the other book? Or just go straight for the prize: a book I'm excited about writing? I know the correct answer, at least for me...but who knows if I'll follow my heart or my head on this one.
Happy Writing!
Follow your excitement >:)
ReplyDeleteCold As Heaven
You're right. There are no rules! Write whatever makes you happy. I'm in the same boat. I have like 5,000 left of my nano novel but I don't feel excited about it anymore so I'm waiting until I do feel excited to finish it.
ReplyDeleteI agree. I am a maniac. ;-)
So true. Sometimes I jump around a bit following my muse. But eventually you get several projects done that way. (= And striking while the iron is hot makes them all that much better.
ReplyDeleteIf you moved to another web location, please share. :)
ReplyDelete